A building permit is required to:
Construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, remove, or demolish any building, structure, or any part thereof; or any equipment, device or facility therein or thereon; or to change the Occupancy of a building from one use Group to another requiring greater strength, means of egress, fire, and sanitary provisions; or to change to an unauthorized or prohibited use; or to install or alter any equipment for which provision is made or the installation of which is regulated by this code; without first having filed application and obtained a permit therefore from the Building Official. A permit shall be deemed issued when signed by the Building Official and impressed with the seal of the governmental agency issuing said permit.
EXAMPLES OF CONSTRUCTION REQUIRING PERMITS
Included but not limited to:
|Assisted Living Facilities
||Exterior Door Replacement
|Air Conditioning Equipment Changes
|Installation of Electrical Systems
||Wind Breaker Systems
|Installation of Electrical Devices & Fixtures
|Driveways/Walks/ Generator Slabs
||Addition of Plumbing Fixtures
|Replacement of Sewer & Water Lines
||Installation of Backflow Preventers
|Re-Certification of Backflow Preventers
||Installation of Siding/Soffit/Fascia
If you are unsure if a permit is required for work, please contact the Chief Inspector.
TO EXPEDITE THE PERMITTING PROCESS PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE YOU HAVE ALL OF THE FOLLOWING APPLICABLE ITEMS, IN DUPLICATE, IN YOUR PACKAGE PRIOR TO SUBMITTAL.
- 1. Permit application completely filled out, executed by the contractor and owner, signatures notarized.
- a. Job location
- b. Description of the work covered by this permit
- c. Owner information
- d. Property folio number (Tax ID Number from your tax bill)
- e. Fee simple title holder if other than owner
- f. Architect information
- g. Engineer information
- h. Contractor information
- i. Bonding company information
- j. Mortgage Lender information
- k. Proof of notification to Home Owner Association of contemplated improvements.
- 2. Two (2) sets of plans drawn to scale (signed and sealed by the designer when required).
- 3. Notice of commencement is required for all permits exceeding $ 2500.00 in construction value. $ 7,500.00 for AC change outs.
- 4. Structural calculations signed and sealed by the designer of record.
- 5. Product Approvals for roofs, utility sheds, windows, shutters, exterior doors, skylights, etc. reviewed and approved by the designer of record.
- 6. Current signed and sealed surveys by a licensed surveyor.
- 7. Three (3) sets of energy calculation forms, signed and sealed and heating/cooling load calculations.
- 8. Proof of property ownership.
- 9. Proof of approval by the Department of Business and professional Regulation, Division of Hotel and Restaurants (954-956-5692).
- 10. Proof of approval by the Army Corps of Engineers (561-686-3441) and Department of Natural Resource Protection (954-519-1230) for dredge and fill activities or structures within the jurisdictional waterways.
- 11. Proof of approval by Department of Planning and Environmental Protection (DPEP) (954-519-1250 for new buildings, additions to non residential buildings, interior commercial alterations, commercial pools, land clearing, and demolition, docks, seawalls, boat ramps, bulkheads, and emergency generators.
- 12. Documented proof of total estimated construction cost.
PERMIT TIME LIMITATIONS
Permits shall expire and become null and void if work authorized by such permit is not commenced within 180 days from the date of the permit or if such work when commenced is suspended or abandoned for a period of 90 days.If a new building permit is not obtained within 180 days from the date the initial permit became null and void, The Building Official shall require that any work which has been commenced or completed be removed from the building site.The Building Official may revoke a permit or approval issued under the provisions of the Florida Building Code in case of any false statement or misrepresentation of fact in the application or on plans and/or specifications on which the permit or approval was based .