The City of Margate has enacted a series of ordinances (codes) with the express purpose of regulating and safeguarding health concerns, safety issues and property standards throughout the city. The Code Compliance Unit works with all the residents, property owners and businesses to ensure that the City is a safe, well-maintained and attractive place to live and work.
Code Compliance Officers are certified through the Florida Association of Code Enforcement. Each code officer is here to help property owners, residents and business owners stay in compliance with all the codes. Code Officers will generally identify a possible violation and work with the responsible person to get the violation corrected.
However, there are instances where code officers and the responsible person are not able to satisfactorily solve the problem. When that happens, the person will be summoned to appear before a Special Magistrate. A Special Magistrate performs the same functions as a judge would in a criminal case. The Special Magistrate may either give the person more time to correct the violation, or impose penalties, or dismiss the violation.
The most common code violations observed are:
· Landscape maintenance such as failure to cut grass/weeds, not removing landscape
· Exterior house maintenance such as not painting the house or cleaning the roof;
· Trash or debris left around the property;
· Commercial vehicles/boats/recreational vehicles parked improperly ;
· Vehicles parked with expired tags/no tags;
· Inoperative vehicles;
· Driveway Maintenance such as not repairing potholes/cracks;
Water restriction violations such as watering on non designated days.
There is a specific Code Officer assigned to each section of the City. Call the Code Compliance Unit with any code related issues you may have in your neighborhood at (954)-972-1232.