BIG BLUE with Rewards
- How To Use the Carts
- How to Properly Place the Cart
- What Goes In the Cart
- What Stays Out of the Cart
- Recyclebank Rewards
- Rinse out containers and remove caps and straws.
- Place all of your recyclables directly into the cart (no bags please).
- Roll your cart to the curb on your recycling day.
- Place your cart on a level, solid surface near the edge of the street by 7 A.M. on your recycling day.
- Place the cart at the curb with the lid closed and the front of the cart facing the street.
- Place your cart at least two (2) feet away from other objects and overhead obstructions.
- Paper - Newspaper, inserts, catalogs, magazines, mail, office paper, soft-covered books, file folders, soda cartons, and crushed boxes from items such as cereal, tissues, rice, and pasta.
- Corrugated Cardboard - From non-food items cut into sections no larger than 2' x 2'.
- Aseptic Containers - Milk and juice cartons and drink boxes.
- Plastic - Plastic containers #1-7 (no caps or lids please).
- Glass - Bottles and jars.
- Metal - Food and beverage containers.
- Pizza Boxes
- Plastic bags
- Certain glass products including window or auto glass, light bulbs, mirrors, or glass cookware.
- Paint and pesticides
- Electronic waste and accessories
- Medical waste and pharmaceuticals
- Household garbage or yard waste
- Building debris
- Styrofoam (e.g. egg cartons, packing materials, etc.)
- Miscellaneous plastics (e.g. toys, cups, Tupperware, etc.)
Get rewarded for living green. Earn points for green actions like recycling. Your points can be redeemed for discounts and deals from local and national businesses. Once registered, earning points is easy to do. Each time that you place your recycling cart out, simply report it by visiting Recyclebank.com, calling 1-888-727-2978, or using a smartphone app. You will earn points each time you report that you recycled. You will also earn points every month based on the weight of recyclable materials collected on your recycling route.
When do I place out my cart for recycling?
Click here to view a map and determine your recycling collection day. Properly place your cart at the curb prior to 7 A.M. on your collection day to ensure that your cart is serviced.
My recycling was not collected. Who do I contact?
Please contact Waste Management at (954) 974-7500 to report any missed pickups.
I just purchased my home and there is no recycling cart. How do I get one?
Once you have setup your water service, contact the Department of Environmental and Engineering Services with your new address at (954) 972-0828 or by email to email@example.com. There is no charge for your initial cart. Please allow up to two weeks for delivery.
Am I responsible for the recycling cart?
Yes, you are responsible for maintaining the cart in good condition.
What happens if I move?
The recycling carts are the property of the City of Margate and must be left on the premises for the next resident.
What if my cart is damaged?
If the damage is caused during the collection process, it must be reported immediately to Waste Management at (954) 974-7500 and your cart will be repaired or replaced for free. If the damage is due to neglect, abuse, modification, or any other damage not covered under the warranty, you are responsible for the cost of repair or replacement. To request a replacement for damage to a cart that was not caused by the collection process, submit a completed Request for Additional or Replacement Recycling Cart form along with payment to the Department of Environmental and Engineering Services. Please allow up to two weeks for delivery of your additional cart once the completed form has been received.
What do I do if my cart is stolen?
Contact the police non-emergency number, (954) 972-7111, to file a police report. Once you have your case number, contact the Department of Environmental and Engineering Services with your case number and address at (954) 972-0828 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no charge for your first replacement.
I would like an additional recycling cart. How do I get one?
Submit a completed Request for Additional or Replacement Recycling Cart form along with payment to the Department of Environmental and Engineering Services. Please allow up to two weeks for delivery of your additional cart once the completed form has been received.
I still have my old recycling bins, what do I do with them?
To recycle your old bins, simply place them into Big Blue. You may keep your current bins to use around the home. However, the bins can no longer be used for recycling.
The cart is too big; can I get a smaller cart?
At this time only the 65-gallon carts are available. The idea behind the updated program is to provide a cart with more capacity to fit your recyclables. Currently, residents have either two 18- or 20- gallon recycling bins which provides 36 or 40 gallons of capacity. The next smaller cart size (35-gallons) would provide less capacity to recycle. Additionally, the footprint of the single, larger cart is less than the footprint of two of the current bins. Going forward we will explore the option of the smaller recycling carts. In the meantime, we encourage you to try out the new cart and challenge you to fill it up.
What is the rewards program?
You earn points by recycling and can then redeem those points for discounts and coupons for products and services from national and local businesses. All eligible households will receive a mailer from Recyclebank (the program provider) with registration information. You must register with Recyclebank to receive the recycling rewards. You can register and find out more about the program at www.recyclebank.com/wm.
Where can I recycle or properly dispose of items not allowed in Big Blue?
Please click here for information on where to recycle or properly dispose of household hazardous waste, electronics, and other items.
Who do I contact for questions about recycling?
For information on the City of Margate Recycling Program contact the Department of Environmental Services at email@example.com or (954) 972-0828. For missed pickups, contact Waste Management at (954) 974-7500.