BIG BLUE with Rewards
Coming Soon To A Curb Near You!
Margate residents on the City of Margate Recycling Program will soon be receiving new rollout recycling carts.
Deliveries will begin soon and will be completed by December 17, 2012.
Please begin using the new cart immediately as you will no longer be able to use your current bins.
- How To Use the Carts
- How to Properly Place the Cart
- What Goes In the Cart
- What Stays Out of the Cart
- Recyclebank Rewards
- Rinse out containers and remove caps and straws.
- Place all of your recyclables directly into the cart (no bags please).
- Roll your cart to the curb on your recycling day.
- Place your cart on a level, solid surface near the edge of the street by 7 A.M. on your recycling day.
- Place the cart at the curb with the lid closed and the front of the cart facing the street.
- Place your cart at least two (2) feet away from other objects and overhead obstructions.
- Paper - Newspaper, inserts, catalogs, magazines, mail, office paper, soft-covered books, file folders, soda cartons, and crushed boxes from items such as cereal, tissues, rice, and pasta.
- Cardboard - From non-food items cut into sections no larger than 2' x 2'.
- Aseptic Containers - Milk and juice cartons and drink boxes.
- Plastic - Containers with the necks narrower than the body such as bottles, jugs, detergent and shampoo containers. (No caps or lids please)
- Glass - Bottles and jars.
- Metal - Food and beverage containers.
- Pizza Boxes
- Plastic bags
- Certain glass products including window or auto glass, light bulbs, mirrors, or glass cookware.
- Paint and pesticides
- Electronic waste and accessories
- Medical waste and pharmaceuticals
- Household garbage or yard waste
- Building debris
- Styrofoam (e.g. egg cartons, packing materials, etc.)
- Miscellaneous plastics (e.g. toys, cups, Tupperware, etc.)
Get rewarded for living green. Earn points for green actions like recycling. Your points can be redeemed for discounts and deals from local and national businesses. Once registered, earning points is easy to do. Each time that you place your recycling cart out, simply report it by visiting Recyclebank.com, calling 1-888-727-2978, or using a smartphone app. You will earn points each time you report that you recycled. You will also earn points every month based on the weight of recyclable materials collected on your recycling route.
How do I get the new cart?
There is nothing that you need to do. All residents who receive curbside recycling services through the City of Margate Recycling Program will receive a new cart.
How do I know if I am on the City of Margate Recycling Program?
Check your water bill; if you pay $1.01 each month for recycling then you are on the City of Margate Recycling Program.
What if I did not receive a cart in the initial distribution?
If you have not received Big Blue by December 12, 2012, contact the Department of Environmental and Engineering Services at (954) 972-0828 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
My cart was already damaged when I received it, what do I do?
Contact the Department of Environmental and Engineering Services immediately at (954) 972-0828 or email@example.com to report the damage.
Do I have to pay for the new cart?
No. Thanks to grant funding, the initial cart is free.
Is my rate going to change?
No, there will not be a change in the monthly recycling rate.
Will my recycling day change?
No, there will be no changes to recycling days. Click here to view a map to determine your recycling day.
When can I begin using the new cart?
Begin using the cart immediately after receipt as you will no longer be able to use your existing bins.
What do I do with my current bins?
To have your current bins recycled; place them out on your first recycling day after receiving Big Blue. For example, your recycling day is Monday and you received Big Blue on Wednesday, December 5. Place your bins out on Monday, December 10, for them to be collected and recycled. You may keep your current bins, but the bins can no longer be used for recycling.
The cart is too big; can I get a smaller cart?
At this time only the 65-gallon carts are available. The idea behind the updated program is to provide a cart with more capacity to fit your recyclables. Currently, residents have either two 18- or 20- gallon recycling bins which provides 36 or 40 gallons of capacity. The next smaller cart size (35-gallons) would provide less capacity to recycle. Additionally, the footprint of the single, larger cart is less than the footprint of two of the current bins. Going forward we will explore the option of the smaller recycling carts. In the meantime, we encourage you to try out the new cart and challenge you to fill it up.
Am I responsible for the new cart?
Yes, you are responsible for maintaining the cart in good condition.
What happens if I move?
The recycling carts are the property of the City of Margate and must be left on the premises for the next resident.
What do I do if my cart is stolen?
There is no charge for your first replacement. Contact the police non-emergency number, (954) 972-7111, to file a police report. Once the report is filed, email a request for a new cart along with the case number and the date the report was filed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if my cart is damaged?
If the damage is caused by the hauler, it will be repaired or replaced for free. All damage caused during collection must be reported immediately to the hauler. If the damage is due to neglect, abuse, modification, or any other damage not covered under the warranty, you are responsible for the cost of repair or replacement.
What is the rewards program?
You earn points by recycling and can then redeem those points for discounts and coupons for products and services from national and local businesses. All eligible households will receive a mailer from Recyclebank (the program provider) with registration information. You must register with Recyclebank to receive the recycling rewards. You can register and find out more about the program at www.recyclebank.com/wm.
Who do I contact for questions about recycling?
For information on the City of Margate Recycling Program contact the Department of Environmental Services at email@example.com or (954) 972-0828. For missed pickups, contact Waste Management at (954) 974-7500.