Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Of all the cities in Broward County that Waste Management services, the City of Margate has the second highest recycling contamination rate. We know that recycling can be confusing, but all you have to remember is “when in doubt, throw it out.”
Be smarter about what you recycle.
Here are some simple tips to remember:
1) Keep it simple. We encourage you to focus on the basics: plastic bottles and jugs (remove caps, please), metal food and beverage cans, paper, and cardboard.
2) Do not bag items. Your recyclables must be loose – do not bag them! Bagged recyclables and bagged waste are two of our biggest problems. Recycle your plastic bags at your local grocery store.
3) Know what doesn’t belong in your recycling bin. Items that don’t belong in your recycling cart include plastic bags, clothing, food waste, yard waste, electronics and hazardous materials. Remember, our goal is to reduce contamination.
4) Clean, dry and loose! Quickly rinse bottles and clean containers. Food residue or water can ruin perfectly good paper and cardboard, so be sure your recyclables are clean and dry.
5) When in doubt, throw it out. If you question whether something can be recycled, then don’t place it in your blue bin. Use the Waste Wizard to search how to properly dispose of hundreds of different materials: margatefl.com/WasteWizard.
For more information about recycling right, go to margatefl.com/recycling.