The Canine (K-9) Unit is made up of 4 Canine Teams. All canines are assigned to Road Patrol after completing a Basic Canine School. The K-9 Unit's major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Respond to calls for police service;
- Take appropriate actions in situations where police assistance is needed;
- Searching for missing children and adults;
- Locating items of evidence and value;
- Searching for dangerous suspects in buildings and wooded areas;
- Tracking suspects that have left a crime-scene;
- Assisting in our schools in the ever growing concern of security and weapons;
- Providing community relations demonstrations.
The K-9 Unit also performs numerous public safety demonstrations throughout the year. Each canine lives at home with their handler; and the teams are on call 24 hours a day.