Alcoholic Beverage Information

All alcoholic beverage allocations must be approved by the City Commission. The number of alcoholic beverage allocations are restricted by Districts. Check with the City Clerk's office to determine if there is an allocation available for the classification you desire in the District in which you plan to locate. Applications for getting an Alcoholic Beverage Allocation are available at the Building Department in the Occupational License Division. The Margate City Code sets forth distance restrictions as well as hours of operation.

Extended hours for the sale of alcoholic beverages requires a special permit that must be approved by the City Commission. An application for consideration of a special permit is also available at the City Clerk's Office, Occupational License Division or the link below.

Application for Special Permit For Extended Hours

State of Florida alcoholic beverage license can be applied for at the State of Florida Division of Alcohol and Tobacco, which is located at:
5080 Coconut Creek Parkway
Margate, FL 33063

Phone: 954-917-1346

Approval by the Margate City Commission is needed prior to the zoning official signing the state beverage forms

Hours for Sale of Alcoholic Beverages

Unless an establishment has obtained a special permit the hours of sale of alcoholic beverages at any establishment within the city shall be:

Monday through Saturday
8 a.m. to Midnight

Noon to Midnight

The following hours apply only if a special permit has been granted by the commission:

  • 8 a.m. until 2 a.m. of the following day, Monday through Thursday
  • 8 a.m. Friday until 4 a.m. the following Saturday
  • 8 a.m. Saturday until 4 a.m. the following Sunday
  • Noon Sunday until 2 a.m. the following Monday
  • 8 a.m. New Year's Eve until 4 a.m. on New Year's Day
  • 8 a.m. St. Patrick's Day (March 17) until 4 a.m. on March 18

Additional Information on Special Permits

The application fee for a Special Permit for extended hours is $150 per year and the permit must be renewed each year by approval of the City Commission. Special Permits are not transferable. If a business is sold, the new owner must apply for approval. All applicants must furnish a copy of their State License with their application.

Distance Restrictions

No liquor or beer and wine license approval for consumption on the premises shall be issued where the place of business is within 1,000 feet of a house of worship, a public or private school, or childcare center.

Note: Waiver of distance restrictions can be granted through the approval of a variance. Application for a variance must be made and payment of the $200 fee for the variance must be paid before the request for the variance can be put before the Board of Adjustment for a Public Hearing.